Monday 9 September 2013

Baby Lead Weaning - Tuna Croquettes


Munchie loves all things fishy especially tuna so when I found this recipe for Tuna Croquettes in the The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook I thought it would be worth a try.
 
2 large potatoes (I used the insides of 2 jackets potatoes we had left over from tea yesterday)
185g (6½oz) tin tuna (in oil or spring water)
Juice of 1 lime (approx 1 tbsp), or to taste (I used 2 tbsp of lemon juice, which we had in the fridge)
25g (1oz) unsalted butter
25-50g (1-2oz) breadcrumbs (preferably stale or toasted) (I used to slices of toasted wholemeal bread, chopped up in the food blender)

The recipe is simple, preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 and lightly grease a baking tray.
Peel and boil the potatoes, once cooked drain (or in my case scoop the insides out of two jacket potatoes) and place in a large bowl, add the tuna and butter and mash together, next add the lime (or lemon) juice and mix well.

Shape the mixture into small sausages (wetting your hands will help to stop it sticking), then roll each one in the bread crumbs and put on to the baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until browned and cooked through.

Serve warm, with vegetables.  (I served them with sweetcorn, another of Munchie’s favourites)
Once cooked they can be stored in the fridge for a few days or frozen.

The croquettes are quick and simple to make, I made 16 from the above ingredients.  Shaping them is a little messy but wetting your hands works well to stop the mixture sticking to you. 



Munchie loved them, they were just the right size for her to hold and where full of texture.



I found them slightly dry, which would explain why they broke up so much whilst she ate them so next time I’ll either add more lemon juice or perhaps include a beaten egg in the mixture. I’ll also add sweetcorn in the next batch which I think will add a little more flavour.  But over all they were a big hit and I’ll certainly be making them again.

4 comments:

  1. OHHH These look YUMMY! Thanks for sharing. We have only just started BLW and have only tried cucumbers-BUT when Baby E is ready I think I will make these

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! We have been BLWers since L started food 3 years ago but don't have the cookbook as it wasn't out back then (we just got the 'main' book). Now J is beginning his food adventures I might get hold of it... the most adventurous cooking I've managed lately is a cooked breakfast! (Thankfully my husband is a better cook than me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have just made these with a mix of sweet potato and white potatoes with salmon and lemon juice, a large spoonful of cream cheese and lots of parsley. They look great but i may have made them too big!

    ReplyDelete